PIH Cycling Group -Kep Track Adventure 2011
Part Proceeds to Leukaemia Foundation
Sunday 29 May 2011
Come and be part of the PIH Cycling Group’s Kep Track Adventure 2011. This is our second year hot on the heels of the first which was a resounding success! This multi use trail right on Perth’s doorstep provides an excellent introduction to long distance cross country mountain biking and Cyclo Cross. The Kep Track is built mainly on rail reserve, so the trail has a low gradient and compacted gravel surface.
In 2011 we are privileged to have the assistance of Mike Thorman, a well known authority on the Munda Biddi as well as Kep Track who is also a ranked MTB champion and cycling coach. We will be using part of the funds for this year’s program to assist Mike in his quest to raise funds for the Leukaemia Foundation.
The Kep Track runs roughly parallel to the Great Eastern Hwy, from Northam to Mundaring, and passes through:
· The old brickworks at Refractory Road. Good photo opportunities.
· Bakers Hill, where we will be stopping for the legendary pies.
· Historic towns of Wooroloo, Chidlow, Mt Helena and Mundaring.
· A nice bit of twisting downhill single track that takes you to Mundaring where we will end our ride this year at the Dome Coffee House in Mundaring.
Details of the ride are:
· Cost: $82 per person (where $30 per person going direct to Leukaemia Foundation) for bus transport to Northam, transfer of bikes by support vehicle, support vehicle throughout journey, insurance and guidance on the track by PIHCG cycling coaches.
· Date: Sunday 29th May 2011
· Location: make your own way to Dome Coffee House -Mundaring – leave vehicle at car park reserved for you.
· Depart: 7.00am via chartered bus from Mundaring Dome to Northam end of Kep Track.
· Ride back to Mundaring Dome, stopping at Bakers Hill for pies (a must) and anywhere else we feel like taking a break or photo.
· Arrive: 330pm-430 pm at Mundaring Dome for late lunch (self purchase).
· Distance: 75km. Average speed will be 18-23 km/hr taking it easy to absorb the terrain challenges, scenery and photo ops.
This ride open to anyone with a moderate level of fitness and a mountain bike or hybrid with wide tires or cyclo cross tyres (no road bike will survive the journey). This event is open to the general cycling community.
To secure your place, payment must be made via this portal by the 21 May 2011 when registration closes with our maximum number of 100 riders (whichever comes first). No payment will be accepted at our clinics for this event.
An information evening provided by PIHCG and Avanti Plus Cannington is being organised early in May 2011 for participants which will involved complimentary bike checks and briefing on the program.
Several days prior to the ride PIHCG will email riders with a list of preparations that will make the trip enjoyable. On the day of the ride, maps and a pre-ride briefing will be provided by the PIHC Cycling Coaches.
We are also supporting our synergy partners – the National Trust and their sterling efforts in the Golden Pipeline and of course the Kep Track. National Trust website: www.ntwa.com.au
In the mean time, if want to know more about the Kep Track, visit http://www.keptrack.com.au/
Ian Wee – Director Sportif
Tim Norris – PIHCG Cycling Coach
Mike Thorman – MTB Cycling Coach