EVENT SERIES DIRECTOR: Wayne Jones 0418 800 921
The South Australian Ocean Paddling Series 2017 is a race series held in South Australian waters, the series includes the Oceanpaddler - The Anytime Fitness Australian Ocean Racing Series (AORS) presented by Shaw and Partners is a national ocean racing series attracting competitors across a number of ocean racing disciplines including Ocean skis, Surf skis, Stand Up Paddleboards, Prone Paddleboards and Outrigger Canoes.
The series will travel around the country to Australia’s most popular beaches showcasing men and women competing in a variety of categories in the only ocean racing series of its kind being held in Adelaide South Australia on Sunday 8th October 2017.
The Australian Ocean Racing Series is one of our events will be selected. All event information is included in this page, please scroll down to see the races in the race series.
All events have a similar starting and registration time and the race name is the name of the event. Presentations are done at the finishing Surf Club of that particular event.
The event is open to all surf ski and ocean paddlers.
Race: 1 O'Sullivan to Somerton SLSC, The Dean Mercer Memorial Paddle.
Sunday 10th September 2017 - at 2.00pm
The SAOP Committee has decided to salute one of the greatest ironman ever we will delicate our next race to Dean Mercer $10.00 of your entry fee will go to his family. Let's make this the biggest ocean race ever seen here.The race is open to anyone who can paddle. Let's remember him the way he would want us too.
Single Event Entry is $40 per event.
Requirements (for surf ski paddlers - all)
PFD, Leg rope, Flare (fluro cap mandatory) and water provisions on board.
- Paddlers must obey race referee and starter and all water safety craft.
- Paddlers must organise a driver with a trailer to drop them off who can also be available if they retire from the race. This is also their emergency contact.
- Paddlers must aid others in trouble.
- Paddlers must wear a solid form PFD and leg rope during the event (ski paddler).
- Paddlers must wear a fluro rash shirt or singlet that is not faded.
Refunds for entry are not offered, including if you don't turn up, or you choose not to race on the day, or if the race is cancelled due to unforeseen weather conditions.
In the event a race is cancelled all paddlers will be notified via email, Facebook and/or sms.
- Race Committee: A Race Committee will be appointed for the event.
- The Race Committee (RC) will direct all matters relating to the actual conduct of the competition.
- The RC shall consult and seek advice from appropriate officials, athletes and other personnel on surf conditions and safety issues when required.
- The Race Committee will comprise Wayne Jones, Craig Burton and other appointed members..
- Race numbers are required and can be purchased at the registration tent for $7 (for all craft).
- Course is subject to change at the discretion of the Race Referee. It may be modified to take advantage of the weather conditions or safety preparation
- Craft will be subject to a seaworthiness safety check.
- The course is subject to change at the discretion of the Race Referee. It may be modified to take advantage of the weather conditions but all paddlers will be notified.
- U16 Ski paddlers must be proficient for the SLSA Bronze Medallion.
- U15,U17,U20 Board paddlers must be current holders of their appropriate awards.
Should, at any stage prior to or during a race, there is a credible basis for concluding there is an unreasonable risk of serious injury occurring, the Race Committee and or appropriate officials shall suspend all or parts of the competition. The Race Committee shall then decide whether to postpone, cancel or relocate all or parts of the race. Should a risk assessment indicate that part or all of the competition not be conducted because of adverse weather or surf conditions, or another threat, the Race Committee will again decide whether to postpone or cancel all or parts of the competition.
Registration for each race is done online at registernow.com.au closing day before race day.
MESSAGE FROM THE EVENT SERIES DIRECTOR
If you have any comments or complaints about the events and/or how they are run, including water safety, it would be appreciated if you could convey them to me in the first instance before commenting on social media, or alternatively sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
RACE FORMAT ALL OF SERIES - Including AORS - 8th October 2017
O'Sullivan Beach to Somerton – Host Club Somerton
This is a Long Course paddle of approximately 13 kms that starts at O'Sullivan Beach and proceeds directly to Somerton SLSC.
Meeting Location: O Sullivan Beach Boat Ramp car park
Check Off Time: All pre-registrations can be checked off between noon and 1 pm
Course: O'Sullivan Beach to Somerton SLSC (or if poor weather conditions an alternate course could be run - registered paddlers notified, via facebook site South Australian Ocean Paddlers).
Race briefing: 1.15pm at O'Sullivan Beach (SUP) and 1.30pm for Ski Paddlers/Other. All briefings are done at the Series Tent at the race start. This ensures all paddlers have had the same briefing and names are marked off in the master sheet.
Race start: 2.00pm.
Presentations: The after event function and presentation will be held at the Somerton Surf Life Saving Club at 4.00pm.
Interstate Competitors (equipment and craft hire):
Please register through this register now site, we can provide all of the equipment (except PFD's) , competitors will need a mandatory fluro hat, leg rope, PFD and flare, these can be purchased on this site, and given to you at race registration.
Equipment hire - most of our SA ocean skis are privately owned, most of our competitors race their own equipment, Some craft can be hired directly from the competitors, and some available through Steve Dalton at Paddle Sports SA who can coordinate for you, email@example.com and 0404 501 738. These craft will be transported to the race start and collected after the race finish.
It is recommended to bring your own equipment along through a service Oceanpaddler is offering.